Landlord Plumbing and Draining Cover

faq icon

How can we help?

As a landlord, you are responsible for ensuring the tenant has access to running water and proper sanitation. A tenant is responsible for making sure they do not cause any damage to the property and this includes not putting oil down drains and making sure that everything is kept as clean as possible. So, there is no definite answer, but maintaining a mutually beneficial agreement with your tenants is always important.

Plumbing maintenance should be conducted every 18 months to every 2 years, or whenever your tenants face an issue with the plumbing of their bathrooms.

Get your pipes properly insulated using foam or thick fabric. Running your taps and turning on your heating regualarly will also help prevent frozen pipes.

  • Clearing blocked sewers, drains and external waste pipes
  • Boilers and hot water cylinders
  • Pipework, radiators, fittings, and valves
  • The stoppers and chains in the sink, basin, or baths
  • Replacing washbasins toilet bowls and toilet seats, when damaged by the tenant.
  • Replacing all baths sinks and drainers if they are damaged by the tenants.

Most stop taps or stop cocks are found under the kitchen sink; all you’ll need to do is simply turn the tap clockwise to close off the water.

Most outdoor stopcocks are found under a cover at the end of a driver or near a pavement next to a water meter. Turning the valve clockwise will cut off the water supply to the house to keep any leak under control.

When leaving your property after a long period of time it may be a good idea to drain down your property especially in the colder months. Draining down means stopping the property water supply at the stopcock and draining all excess water sitting in the pipes. This will reduce the risk of any burst pipes in the colder months.

blue curve